Saturday, June 21, 2014

A New Shipment of Hand Printed Cotton from India!


It's here and I'm so excited! Hard to believe this box traveled all the way to Brooklyn from Jaipur, India and it's also hard to believe this humble box, which could not be more than about 18 x 24 inches, held 200 meters of fabric!


Each pattern comes folded neatly in 6 meter amounts. I purchased about 25 meters per design, so there are 4 folded bundles each. 


I purchased more of the old favorites; Indigo Flower, Planting Seeds, and Exotic Flower and it's great to see them again! But there are also some new favorites; Temple Flower, Jungle Flower, Tropical Garden, Feathering Stripes, Exotic Vine, and Palace Garden. I have fun naming the prints! That is Jungle Flower you see above in red, with Palace Garden sandwiched in between. 


The bundles of folded units are then tied up with some sort of reed-like string, as you see here with  Tropical Garden. This particular design is different from the other prints in that it has a background color, an accent color, and black outlining. I really love it! Looks hand painted and I would love to see the printing block that creates that outline! How does the artist carve such a fluid line out of wood?


Yes, Feathering Stripes also has an outline, but not the background block that Tropical Garden has. And although this fabulous design stands up beautifully on it's own, it also makes a wonderful coordinate to many of the other prints. 


As seen here with Temple Flower….


…and looking really nice with Exotic Flower!


Palace Garden would make an absolutely beautiful tablecloth, don't you think?


I managed to clear a spot in my storage closet and the fabric is making itself right at home!

Sorry for the short blog post but, as you can imagine, I have lots of work to do. Photographing and promoting is plenty of work in itself. And I'm still working out my clothing shapes. I have some shorts, skirts and shirts on the drawing table and, with luck (along with patience, practice and persistence) I  will be making the first final samples very soon. Stay tuned!








No comments:

Post a Comment