Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Brief Update

I have been very busy lately, trying to do a lot of different things at once. I'm getting some card designs together to submit to Great Arrow Graphics, a wonderful greeting card company I worked with for many many years. I took a bit of a break from card design starting around 2008 but feel very happy and ready to be working in this format again. Great Arrow hand silkscreens their cards, resulting in a product with a rich surface and color quality that can't be achieved using the usual process printing.


Since Father's Day is coming up, I chose this example of a card I designed years ago.


And an anniversary card I liked quite a bit. It's fun playing with type and big bold flat color shapes!

Tonight I have my last class at the Textile Arts Center in Brooklyn. Since there were only four classes, we just barely skimmed the surface (pun attempt!) of what is possible with dye-printing. Basically we only learned to print with a single image in one color. I'd like to move on to a class where I could learn to print repeating yardage along with having the provided studio space in which to do it!


So, I just quickly put together some of my tiny prints that I have on hand and arranged them as 5" x 5" squares on two different screens. I chose black as my color thinking that if they came out well enough, I could then dye the backgrounds different colors and use them in some sort of quilting project. 


This image is a little confusing because you are seeing the print from the fabric covered printing table underneath my fabric surface. I only had the iPhone camera, so couldn't get a very close close-up! I got varying results with each square. Some prints printed really crisply while others were a bit fuzzy. Hopefully I'll learn a little about how to control this in tonight's class!


Last, but not least, is this gorgeous piece of furniture I dared to buy from CIRCA60 on etsy. Didn't need to spend the money, I should have gone to IKEA! But I was/am desperate for storage and I knew this would just look gorgeous beside my combination dining/work table which is the first thing you see when you walk into my apartment. It has nine drawers and is so snazzy! And, of course, we have our friend Frankie lounging in front of it, looking so elegant. 

I'm off to the Department of Motor Vehicles in hopes of transferring my driver's license from Massachusetts to New York. Turns out I was supposed to do this within 30 days after I moved here, so I'm not sure how much success I will have. I realize this info is not very design related but these are the kinds of aggravating details that, sadly, take up most of my time!





No comments:

Post a Comment