Sunday, August 11, 2013

Two Shows at the Brooklyn Museum of Art

When you plan a trip to New York City, you must add The Brooklyn Museum of Art to your list of museums to see. There are fewer crowds and the exhibits and collections are every bit as interesting as one would find in the better-known museums of Manhattan. Recently, I had the good fortune to happen upon two very wonderful shows: "Workt by Hand": Hidden Labor and Historical Quilts and Gravity and Grace: Monumental Works by El Anatsui.

These shows were on different floors, therefore no relationship was made by the museum. But I'm taking the liberty of doing that myself! Let's look at some pictures as this is the best way for me to make my point.......

A picture is worth a 1,000 words -
and a lot less painful for both you and me!








































So, what do you think? Following the photos, there is a graceful transition from one show to the other. Both shows feature a very ingenious use of interesting and relevant materials which are then "stitched" together in creative ways to make a glorious "fabric". Whether bedding or sculpture, both shows exhibit a sense of place and history. Is it art or is it craft? Does it matter? I find inspiration in both!



No comments:

Post a Comment